|LarBo's Throbbing Gristle System|
|IP Address: 18.104.22.168||Last Update: January 14, 2013 at 10:39:33|
|Preamplifier (or None if Integrated):||Parasound JC-2|
|Speakers:||Merlin VSM-MM w/ single-ended 'superBAM'|
Subwoofers: stereo ACI Force XL subs.
|CD Player/DAC:||MacBook Pro (2.3 GHz Core Duo; 8 GB RAM; 60 GB SSD (Snow Leopard & Mt. Lion dual boot)). Various "optimization" tweaks to each OS.|
Mercury Elite Pro 2TB HDD for music files (WAV)
PureMusic * Audirvana Plus
Berkeley Audio Alpha USB & Alpha DAC (series 1)
|Turntable/Phono Stage:||Someday I'll use my boxes of vinyl again.......|
|Speaker Cables/Interconnects:||Digital ICs:|
* Oyaide NEO d+ firewire cable from HDD to server (1.5m)
* Acoustic Revive USB-1.5PL (Server to Alpha USB)
* Acoustic Revive DSIX-1.0PA AES/EBU from Alpha USB to Alpha DAC.
* T.G. Audio High Purity HSR (with Xhadow RCA connectors): Alpha DAC -> JC-2 -> Merlin BAM -> BBQ
* VH Audio Pulsar w/ Eichman RCAs: JC-2 -> subwoofers.
Speaker (spades all around):
* T.G. Audio HSR & TG HSR jumpers
* Dream State Dreamcatcher from wall feeding Sound Application RLS-1.
* Elrod Statement from wall feeding BPT balanced conditioner.
* Tel Wire PCs (original low-current) from the BybeeSucker feeding USB converter, DAC and linestage.
* Tel Wire HCs from the RLS for BBQ amp.
|Other (Power Conditioner, Racks etc.):||* Cryoed Oyaide R1 receptacle at the wall with WPC-Z cover system. |
Front End: BPT 2.5 signature balanced power conditioner feeding a T.G. Audio BybeeSucker (Oyaide R1 outlets in both). Alpha USB, Alpha DAC and JC-2 linestage each run from separate circuits on the BybeeSucker.
Amplifier and Subwoofer: Sound Application RLS-1 feeding the BBQ amp and Force subs.
Two Hammond 193M chokes employed - one at the wall, the other into the BPT.
* Hardwood (teak?) cabinet that's not intended for this purpose, but it holds the gear up and looks nice.
* BDR shelves and myrtlewood blocks under digital server and linestage.
* BDR cones (MKIII)) under the Alpha USB and Alpha DAC. VPI Brick on top of Alpha USB for stabilization weight.
* Polycrystal amp stand on floor with TG Audio Pointy Thangs between stand and amp chassis.
* Herbie's IsoCups with Gabon ebony balls under the Sound Application conditioner.
* BDR MKIII cones under BPT conditioner.
* 3" thick maple blocks (Timbernation) under the Merlins, with Z-feet spikes directly into the maple. Herbie's Big Fat Dots between the maple blocks and the hardwood floor. This really helps with the suspended wood floors.
* EVS Ground enhancers on Merlin (-) terminals.
* BudP-style ground loops on (-) speaker terminals of the BBQ.
* DIY RC networks following Al Sekela's multi-tier recipe (I use these in place of the ones provided by Merlin).
* Various types of crystals from Alan Maher near power supplies.
* Synergistic "quantum" fuses (Berkeley gear) and HiFi Tuning "supreme" fuses (preamp & amp)
|Room Size (LxWxH):||15' x 15' x 8'|
|Room Comments/Treatments:||Hardwood floors (suspended over crawlspace).|
Half of one wall opens into adjacent room.
6' x 6' scalloped skylight transom in ceiling center raises at an angle to a max of 10' from floor.
18'd x 24'h Risch bass trap in one corner, behind subwoofer
|Music Preferences and Comments:|
|Music Used (Genre/Selections):||classical (early music through romantic; some modern); straight-ahead jazz; bluegrass; rock; metal; blues; R&B/soul; some electronica|
|System Goals/Comments:||Realistic timbre, pacing, dynamics and soundstage.|
|System Strengths:||Good detail and dynamics while at the same time being musical (e.g. it swings). Decent soundstaging and depth, width and height.|
|System Weaknesses:||Minimal room treatments - the room needs them, but I need my wife more and it came down to a choice..... |
Not the last word in dynamic attack.
|Video/HT System: None|
|Other Interests/Hobbies/Occupation:||Brewing, then drinking Beer. |
Brewing, then drinking Peet's coffee.